An ornate gold locket set with a beautiful cushion shape old cut diamond in an engraved star setting encircled by intricate filigree decoration, opening to reveal two glazed compartments.
- Dating to circa 1880
- Old cut diamond with an estimated weight of 0.15cts
- Crafted in yellow gold.
- Total length 55mm x width 33mm
- Total weight 25g
- Contains a portrait of a lady in Victorian dress.
- With original fitted case by Charles Parnacott of Bond Street.
- In good condition and closing securely with minor dents and scratches to reverse & bale consistent with age and use.
- Free shipping worldwide and returnable for a full refund – see policy.
- Layaway available - reserve with a 30% deposit and pay in instalments. Please enquirefor further details.
This piece was made circa 1880 during the Victorian era. Lockets became popular in the 1870s and were widely worn by fashionable women, suspended from a chain or velvet ribbon. The locket became a very popular gift for a lady and could contain a miniature portrait or photograph or a lock of hair. This is an excellent example with a highly decorative finish using filigree, an ancient technique using very fine gold wire which is twisted, wound together or rolled flat to create a variety of decorative patterns and effects. Filigree became incredibly popular in this period following a fashion for archaeological revival jewellery and a renewed interest in ancient decorative techniques.
Have a question about this piece? Contact us here quoting item #083